August 13, 2012
Hello FAMILY!
Yes, the title of the email. "Who should
Pray? Haley." I will address that at this time. On Monday night we ate
dinner at the Barker's home. Laura Barker is my friend from BYU who was in my
ward at the Enclave and she played with me on my football team. Well, I knew
that I was coming to Laura's mission but I had no idea where she was from. The
3rd week I was here in Moorpark someone brought up a girl that went to BYU and
was really good at basketball, and said that her name was Laura. Well, the
light flicked on in my head and I asked what her last name was and it was my
Laura Barker! I saw Laura that week in church and it was so crazy. Well, on
Monday we finally got to go to her house for dinner. It was really fun and kind
of weird at the same time. I felt like I was in limbo between being a
missionary and a BYU student. It was crazy. Well, the whole night Laura would
call me Haley. I don't blame her, that's who I am to her. She was trying really
hard to call me Sister Bennett, but I understand why she slipped up. That made
it more weird for me. I was thinking "I'm not Haley. I'm Sister Bennett.
Haley is dead right now." Haha. Well at the end of sharing our lesson we
asked if we could leave them with a prayer, and Brother Barker said, "Who
should say it?" Then Sister Wilkinson, my companion, answered and said
"I think Haley should." AHHH!!! I couldn't believe it. That was so
weird. Sister Wilkinson just slapped her hand over her mouth and I laughed so
hard that I was crying. It was also not something I ever want to hear her say
again while we're on our missions. That was super weird.
Anyway, that was fun. I haven't gotten an
email from mom yet, so I don't know what questions to address. This week I got
a letter from Cortney's old roommate, Nicki Infanzon. It was the sweetest
letter I have ever read. I just wanted to say thanks to Nicki. That letter
really made me feel the spirit of my calling as a missionary, and it gave me
even more of a drive to be an obedient hard working missionary. I am really
grateful for that letter. Thanks Nicki. I know you read my blog, so there's a
shout out to you. :) I will write you another letter all for yourself, don't
worry. Oh and getting that letter reminded me of something that I forgot to
tell Cortz. I met one of your friends in the MTC and we were on the same flight
to AZ from the MTC. I don't remember her name, but I think she is going to Brazil
or something? I can't remember. She said she lived by you last fall. In the MTC
she walked up to me randomly and said "Are you Cortney's sister?" I
was like yes! She said that she saw my tag and I look just like Cortz so she
knew I had to be your sister, Cortney.
This past week has been so hot here! I just
want to die because it's so hot. As soon as we start walking around I'm
sweating, and it's not even humid here. Don't worry mom, I've been wearing my
sunscreen. We actually talked to a lady who was in her garage one day and she
wasn't interested at all in our message and wouldn't let us say anything, but
then all of a sudden she walked up to me and put her hand on my shoulder and
said "I hope you're wearing sunscreen in this heat, young lady!" Mom,
you must be praying that I remember to wear it, because everyone keeps
reminding me. It's always people that aren't interested in the message that are
so worried about me getting burned. That was the second time that's happened to
me! Haha.
Thanks mom for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD.
I love it so much. My favorite hymn these days is #221, and they have the best
arrangement of it on that CD. I feel the Spirit every time we hear it in the
car, which is a lot because I'm obsessed with it. Sister Wilkinson is probably
getting sick of me listening to it. hahah. Also, I only have like 12 more pages
left in my journal! It's ok if you don't want to send me one like my last one,
because I bought one just in case. My goal is to write in my journal every day
of my mission. I feel like I'm always
asking for things in emails, so feel free to disregard. haha. Oh, but one thing
I really do need is a Jesus the Christ. I want to read it. Did you ever find
Dad's mini version? If not, do you think you can send me one? I would really
like that. It has a lot of good stuff in it, but I can't always read it because
I've been using Sister Wilkinson's and she needs to read it sometimes, too.
Now let's talk about what actually matters.
This week we taught Eric and Cristina, Olie Hamm (a recent convert) twice,
Kayli V., Nadine, Fernando, Tonya and Caitlyn twice, Heena, Carol and Paula,
the Eatons, and Wendy.
It was a busy week, but at the same time I
felt that we could have done better. I really have been trying to focus on the
goals that we make rather than setting them each week during weekly planning
and not looking at them again until we call in numbers on Sunday night of the
next week. One thing that I know has helped Sister Wilkinson and I is to really
focus on our daily goals in order to accomplish the weekly goals we have set.
We haven't mastered this idea to any extent, but that is something that I
personally really want to work on because I know that we set goals for a reason
and that as we focus on those goals and on reaching them the Lord will help us.
We watched the Joseph Smith: Prophet of the
Restoration movie with Eric and Cristina on Monday. I felt the Spirit so much
during the movie, so much so that I know that it is impossible for them to have
not felt it. I know that Eric was very interested in the movie and very focused
on it, but Cristina always acts like she isn't interested or like she doesn't
know what's going on. I know that she does. There is something that is holding
her back from just doing the simple things, like pray, to know if God is there.
She said she had lost her faith and I think that she is scared of having faith
and "losing" it again. It's been hard to break through with her
because she has felt the Spirit. Every time she does she just describes it as
remembering feelings that she once had, and how it's nice but isn't real.
Sister Wilkinson and I aren't sure what to do with them. We will probably have
to drop them because they haven't been reading in the Book of Mormon, but it's
hard for me to even think about doing that. I haven't had to drop anyone yet,
and I just love them so much. The idea of them not having the opportunity to
find out the truth at this time really makes me sad, but at the same time I know
that Heavenly Father knows what's best for them. This may not be the time in
their lives that they are prepared to receive the gospel. I know that because
we've taught them what we have, that later they will be able to accept the
gospel. I know that someday they will.
Kayli V. passed her baptismal interview on
Saturday! We are so excited for her! She finally talked to her parents and told
them that she is getting baptized and it went really well. She was really
scared about how her dad would react, and he actually reacted better than her
mom did. He said just said "Ok, it's your decision." I know that our
fasting and prayers on Kayli's behalf, as well as the ward's prayers and
fasting, have truly been answered. I know that the Lord softened her parents'
hearts and that because Kayli showed her faith by going forward with the
decision to be baptized that she was blessed. I can't even explain how much joy
I felt when Kayli said that she would be baptized on the 19th. I just can't
wait for her to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and receive all of the
blessings that come after baptism like going to the temple to do baptisms for
the dead or getting her patriarchal blessing. There is so much that has yet to
come for Kayli and baptism just opens it all up to her. How amazing is the
atonement? I am so grateful to be a part of this work in which I am able to see
people repent and change through the atonement of Jesus Christ. It is such a
blessing to know what we know.
Fernando is a man who is a "prophet"
at the Victory Outreach church. He said that he had prophesied of the
earthquake in China and told us about other prophesies he has had that have
come true. We had given him a Book of Mormon and invited him to read it. When
we came back for our appointment he took the time to tell us that the Church is
of the devil, but it was interesting because it wasn't mean. Fernando was
sincerely concerned for us. I was getting frustrated, however, because he
wouldn't give us the opportunity to share the message of the restoration. He
talks a lot about the Holy Spirit and how it teaches him, and I know that it's
true. I'm sure that the Spirit does teach him certain truths, but he doesn't
have the fullness of the truth. I just wanted to scream "Read the Book of
Mormon!" That would most likely not have been ok, but I know that he will
receive a witness from the Spirit that it's the word of God. Teaching Fernando
was still a really good experience to feel the Spirit as I shared my testimony
with him right after he told us we are going to hell. That was a great
experience for me. Sister Wilkinson was a bit for flustered about it, but I
just felt calm the whole time. I just kept thinking, "Wow, I really do
KNOW that the church is the church of Jesus Christ on the earth. It truly is
knowledge."
Teaching Tonya and Caitlyn is always a treat.
This week we ran into our first hiccup with them. Caitlyn told Kayli V that she
doesn't want to be baptized on the same day as her mom because she wants her
mom to have that be a special day for herself. I couldn't believe that. How
would that day be any more special than getting baptized with your daughter? I
don't know if that's truly why Catilyn doesn't want to get baptized on that
day, but we're teaching them tonight so I just pray that we can resolve her
concern about being baptized. After our lesson with them yesterday, Tonya
texted us expressing her concerns about Catilyn. She is worried that Caitlyn is
"bored" with the lessons because it all seems too simple to them
both. It's seems simple because it is simple. The gospel isn't a blockbuster
movie. We don't have it in our lives to wow us and give us entertainment. I
know that it seems so simple to them because in their case they are recognizing
that they have heard this before or that it's seems familiar because they are prepared
for it. Tonight we are teaching them about baptism, reading the scriptures, and
praying. I know that we need the Spirit with us always, but in great abundance
tonight so that we can help Caitlyn. I know that she has felt the Spirit and
that she is ready to be baptized, but she needs to know that for herself. I am
so grateful to be teaching them. I talk about this a lot, but the love that I
feel for them is amazing. I didn't know that I could feel so much for someone
that isn't a member of my family. It really creates that burning desire within
me to help them increase their faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, and
that is so important in this work. I'm just grateful to Heavenly Father for
allowing me to feel that love for them and to have been able to be involved in
teaching them.
Lastly, we taught Wendy yesterday at Brother
Pierson's home. She is doing really well. She's just a powerhouse. That's the
best way to describe her. She always comes to lessons having learned so much
and is so excited to share insights or spiritual experiences that she has had.
We taught her about the priesthood and I just love hearing her testimony of the
priesthood. It is so strong. She really understands how important it is to have
the priesthood on the earth leading Jesus Christ's church. She is just awesome.
I hope that the Bishop calls her as a ward missionary because she would be so
great!
Well, we really had a great week. I realize
that now as I look back on all of the lessons that we had. For some reason I
was feeling like we could have done more, because we only got 3 new
investigators this week and I felt like I wasn't declaring with power. I have been
praying a lot to have the Spirit with me and to recognize it working through me,
because I truly know how important it is in this work. That if we teach with
the Spirit then we are doing things the way that they are meant to be done, and
that no matter what happens, if the people accept the message or not, that we
have done all that we can.
One thing that I really have been trying to be
more aware of is the balance between being myself and at the same time
maintaining my mantle of being a missionary. I connect well with people, really
well, and that was something that was talked about in my setting apart
blessing, that my ability to make friends would be a great blessing to me.
However, I need to make sure that I am not too casual with people. It's been
hard and I am still trying to figure it out, but I need to always make sure that
they know I'm a representative of Jesus Christ. Pray that I can understand how
to find that balance.
Well, I hope everyone is doing well. Thank you
all for your emails and letters. I love my family so much. Sister Wilkinson,
during companionship inventory, told me that she loves how she can see and feel
how much I love my family as I talk about them every day. I really appreciated
that because it's true, I love you all. Be good.
Love,
Sister Bennett
No comments:
Post a Comment