Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sniffles



March 12, 2013

 
Dear Family,

Ahhhhchoooo! That's me....ALL THE TIME! I think I've developed allergies. Well, really that I have them here because the stuff flying around in the air is different than Utah and Minnesota. Allergies are THE WORST! Now I know what you feel like, mom, when you have them. They just come and go as they please and annoy me. Also, daylight savings. It's great because it's light out longer, but boy it makes it harder to wake up because it's still dark in the morning. Ugh. I always feel like I was hit in the head with bricks when I wake up now. Hahah.

We just had zone conference yesterday at the Camarillo stake center. It was great to see President and Sister Castro there. It seems like it had been forever, which is weird since I'm a traveling sister. I don't know how I made it so long when I was in Moorpark. I just love Sister Castro. She's such a powerful, dignified lady, but she's funny on top of that. We joke a lot together. Yesterday I just felt so much love from both President and Sister Castro as they spoke to us. Overall, it was a really powerful zone conference and I was able to receive a lot of revelation for ways to become a better steward. President talked a lot about stewardship. He shared with us from a talk by Elder Nelson and we read in D&C 104. One thing that really stuck out to me a lot was when President talked about how Christ was the perfect example of stewardship - He was the steward for His father. I know that we are representing Him in our areas, and I want to understand Him better so I can better represent Him. I'll be finishing the Book of Mormon, again, tomorrow, and I plan on studying Christ's atonement as I read through the Book of Mormon again. I was really touched by one of the assistants, Elder Brodie’s, testimony and how I could just feel that his relationship with the Savior has grown greatly on his mission. He is going home on Monday...he extended but it's time for him to go home. I want that. I know that my relationship with Jesus Christ has become stronger, but there is so much more for me to learn of Him so I can really know Him. I'm just so excited to read through the Book of Mormon again with this focus. It will bring some great spiritual experiences, I'm sure.

We had a really good week. We had two exchanges and some great lessons in our area. There just seems to be a lot going on, so everything that's stuffed into one week is hard to report on. I'll do my best to share the most important points from this past week.

I'll start with the exchanges.

We had an exchange with the Moorpark sisters on Tuesday. That was a treat, to say the least. I was able to work with Sister Stoker here in Ventura. I just love Sister Stoker so much. Being with her again reminded me a lot of the learning experiences I had as her trainer and the help that I received from the Lord. It was also good to talk with Sister Stoker about how things went when we were companions and share my feelings with her about it. She is an awesome missionary. The neatest thing was seeing how much she has grown since I trained her. She has so many strengths as a missionary - her tool belt is definitely full. We had a great day. We had 4 lessons and found a new investigator, as well. It was a bit difficult in lessons since we were working in my area, because that meant that I would take the lead more. She did really well still. She has always been so good at listening to what people say, internalizing it, and then following the Spirit to respond to their concerns or ask more questions. She always asks inspired questions that invite the Spirit. That's something I'm still really working on. Her goal for the day was to be more detailed in her teaching when we're out tracting and declaring. She did great with teaching the Restoration in declarations. When I was with her she would seem to run out of things to say, but now she just continues teaching people if they'll listen. She did great with her goal. If she saw that they had time and weren't going to slam the door, she'd go a little bit deeper in detail about the Restoration. That's how we were able to get a new investigator - she was teaching in detail. Another goal that she had for the day was to be the one to approach people on the street. She said that her companion always approaches people and she almost wishes that she wouldn't. I think it's great that she recognizes that and is working to overcome her fears. Sadly, it was raining the whole day on Wednesday, so there weren't any people outside. Sister Stoker is a strong, powerful missionary. She's still going through a hard time. She seems to be enjoying missionary work more now, but she told me that she is still having a hard time. She wants to feel like she's actually making a difference in these people's lives. We talked about that a lot, because that's been a concern that I've had, and I hope that my words of advice helped her. A few things that we discussed were slowing down in declarations and recognizing that you're talking to a person. Sometimes we get in a routine and just spew off a lot of information at people and don't take the time to check for understanding. She'll be able to adjust and get better at that. I'm just so grateful to have gone on exchanges with her. It's been so neat to go on exchanges with all of my old companions this transfer.

On Friday, we went to South Bakersfield and had exchanges with Sister Tagaloa and Sister Vandenhazel. I went with Sister Tagaloa for the day. She is from Samoa and is a convert. Her family converted before her, but then when she was 16 she was baptized. She's having a hard time. She talked to me about how she thinks a lot about going home and she's been very stressed this tansfer. She really wants Sister Vandenhazel to have a good last transfer and she wants her to know that she is loved. Sister Vandenhazel is going home at the end of the transfer and has struggled throughout her entire mission. I think that is so great of Sister Tagaloa. It just shows her selflessness. I just worry that she's not taking care of herself, emotionally, at the same time. We talked about it on Thursday night when I got there, but on Friday we didn't talk about it again. I just wanted to help Sister Tagaloa have a good day. I think she did. We had a few lessons and spent a lot of time out talking to people. One great thing about Sister Tagaloa is that she talks to literally everyone. I loved that! She doesn't care who they are, they need the gospel and she's going to share it with them. Her goal for the day was to teach to the commitment. She feels like people don't really understand why they should keep the commitments that they are left with. That was a good goal and she did well with it. In declarations she talked about the Book of Mormon and how important it is to read it to know if what we share is true. She always bears her testimony. It's wonderful and powerful. She has such great conviction as she tells people that she knows these things are true. I loved that, too! One thing that we discussed was slowing down when teaching. Sister Tagaloa is SO excited to tell people about the gospel, but they already have a hard time understanding her because her English pronunciation isn't so great, but then she's also speaking very fast. She agreed that she needs to slow down, because she noticed that a lot of people would turn to me and say, "What did she just say?" It may be good for her to have language study. She has a good vocabulary, but it's her pronunciation that could use some help. That would help her teach with more clarity. I enjoyed our day together and she said that she was so happy after working with me on Friday. I was glad to lift her spirits a bit so she can get through the rest of this transfer.

This past week, in our area, we taught Gabby and Skylar (twice), Sabrina, Elaine, Julia, we had our Book of Mormon class, Rhoda, Kristyn, Jessica, Jose (twice), Cryshauna, Jessica S., and Bob.

Last night after zone conference, we had a lesson with Gabby and Skylar. I've just been so excited about teaching them. I want them to accept this message so bad! We talked with them more about Christ's church and the great apostasy. Then, we watched the Restoration DVD to help them understand more. The Spirit was really strong in the room with them. I felt so much love for them as I was able to bear my testimony about receiving my own answer about Joseph Smith. I was 15 when I came to know that he was a prophet, so I can relate to them. Obviously, it's a little different since I was raised in the church, but we all are converts. We have to be. I just could feel how proud Heavenly Father is of them and how He wants them to be happy in their lives. They are such bright girls and they have a pure desire to know truth. They understand what we've taught them and know that it's up to them to find out. Gabby said the closing prayer and offered a simple, heartfelt prayer. She prayed that she could recognize if these things are true and she said she wants to know because she feels like this is a good message. That was pretty cool. When we got back in the car to go to our next appointment, I realized that I hadn't checked the phone all day since we were at zone conference and I hadn't looked at it on the way back! When I looked at the phone there was a text from Gabby, she was saying that she was grateful for us but didn't think they could be Mormon. I was so grateful that we hadn't seen that message. I think we were able to help answer her questions. I just hope she doesn't start doubting and drops us. She just needs to pray and read! It's so simple....I just wish everyone would do it. Why don't they? If they have faith in God they must know that He'll answer them, right? I don't know. I just hope we'll get to teach them again.

We had another great lesson last night with Jose. He's so quiet but he listens closely and he's smart. He understands what we're teaching and he told us he understands what a great difference this would make if it's true. When we talked with him more about the great apostasy, he said that the world today is still so confused. The great thing is that we don't have to be. It's our choice. The gospel brings so much clarity. It's always so powerful when we get to teach people who recognize the confusion in the world and that they no longer need to feel confused. I know that Heavenly Father loves all of His children just as much as He loved Joseph Smith. He answered Joseph Smith's prayer in a spectacular way, but I feel that the answers that I have received were spectacular, to me, as well. My favorite part of missionary work is feeling the love that God has for His children. I'm so grateful for that. Jose accepted a baptismal date and said that he wants to work toward being baptized on the 20th of April. I'm excited for him, because I really feel like he'll do his part. We'll see though.....he still has his agency!

This past week was great. I always say this, but there are just so many miracles, whether big or small, in this work.

I love you all! Thanks for your letters and especially your prayers!

Love,
Sister Bennett



P.S. - I got my shoes, both pairs, and they work great! Thanks so much, Mom.
P.P.S. - I got Jord's wedding announcement! He and Amanda look great! Jordan, you're one handsome redhead. I love that little black and white picture. It's so cute!
P.P.P.S. - The first presidency has changed the policy on emailing and we can now send and receive emails from friends and we can email converts. That last part is great! I'm not sure if I want my friends emailing me, but we'll see. I was wondering if you, Mom, can get me Tonya's email address since she emailed you a while ago when she made me missionary casserole.
P.P.P.P.S. - Can I get aunt Nicole’s mailing address. I never wrote her a thank you for the Christmas package she sent. I'm the worst.
 
 
Sister Tagaloa braided my hair













 
 











No comments:

Post a Comment