January 7, 2013
Hello Family,
Well, we all knew that this day would be
coming. I am leaving Moorpark. I have been called to be a traveling sister,
which means that basically, throughout the transfer, I go on exchanges with the
other sisters and help to train them. My companion will be Sister Lilywhite and
our proselyting area, when we're not on exchanges, is the Ventura 2nd ward.
Crazy. I seriously don't even know where to begin. I've been having a lot of
thoughts running through my mind last night and this morning about the
assignment that has been given to me. I was definitely taken aback when I spoke
to President Castro on the phone last night and He extended the call to me to
become a new traveling sister. I felt overwhelmed and kind of confused. I
couldn't believe that I could be prepared at this point to be leading the other
sisters in this mission. However, after the initial reaction wore off, I felt a
sense of peace come over me as he talked about what is expected of me and also
gave me words of council and advice. Moorpark has really been so good to me. I
have grown leaps and bounds from the time that I first got here with Sister
Tippetts until now, 3 companions and seven-and-a-half months later. I have a
lot of love for the people here and I know that I will miss this area so much,
but I know that the experiences that are ahead will help to shape me and mold
me even more into a more dedicated servant of the Lord. I know that the Lord
knows me and my potential. He has a specific mission experience planned for me
and if I will just allow Him to guide me, my service will be enough. I will be
able to place my gift, giving of myself for 18 months, on the altar of
sacrifice, and He will accept that gift. It meant a lot to me to hear President
Castro say that the Lord has accepted my service and the work that I've done in
Moorpark, and especially that He is pleased with all that I have done there.
The greatest part of that is that I realize and know that I really have only
been an instrument in His hands. I've simply been doing my best to show my love
for Him through my obedience, and He has blessed me with so much. I know that
going to Ventura will be a great change for me, but I am ready. I can't spend
my whole mission in Moorpark. Plus, Moorpark deserves to have other wonderful
missionaries serve there and help the work progress more there. President
Castro talked to me a lot about not comparing things ahead to the experiences
that I've had in Moorpark. He said that Moorpark was a great chapter of my
life, but that I need to turn the page now as I embark on a new chapter of my
mission. He said he is a little worried that I will be too hard on myself, so
he counseled me about that, and really stressed the fact that I should not
compare things to Moorpark. He talked about how when we first went to Moorpark
it was a big question mark ahead and that it turned out really well and I
gained a lot from serving there. He said that the same thing is happening now.
The experiences ahead of me a big question mark, but I will be so grateful if I
can go forward with an open mind, continuing to allow the Lord to shape me. As
I have pondered on the change that is taking place tomorrow, I've been fighting
off thoughts of inadequacy. I know that if I rely on the Lord that I will be
able to accomplish what He wants accomplished, but I'm still human. I wonder
how it will be possible for me to go on exchanges with all of these
missionaries and teach them something when I have so much more to learn myself.
I can think of a handful of sisters that I think would do so much better in
training the other sisters in the mission, but I know that that is not their
calling. I prayed last night and counseled with the Lord, seeking for a
confirmation that this is right - that I am supposed to be a traveling sister.
As I prayed, I didn't have some huge overwhelming experience of feeling a
burning in my bosom or anything like that, but I did feel peace. I realized
that I already knew that this is right and this is what the Lord has called me
to do. I know that because I have already received a witness that President
Castro has been called of God and that he leads this mission by revelation.
It was very comforting to feel the peace and have that realization. I do
know that whom the Lord calls, He qualifies. He will do the same thing with me
at this time.
This past week was a good week for Sister
Stoker and me. It was definitely a good note to end on. We seemed to have
gotten a lot closer in just the past 5 or 6 days because I realized that I
needed to be better. I needed to be showing her more love and compassion, and
as I was really working to do so, I was blessed to truly feel that way. I know
that it made all the difference in our teaching and in our companionship unity.
She is going to do so well here in Moorpark. She feels like she isn't ready and
can't do this, but I know that she can. It's funny how we can't seem to see our
own abilities or potential, but it's so obvious when others look at us. I feel
a lot of comfort knowing that Moorpark will be left in the hands of a great
sister missionary who is trusted and loved here.
We taught Terry Anne, Heena, Choice, Shelly,
Nanci (less-active), the Pflaumers, Penny Berg (less-active),
Kathy/Kyle/Madison, the Cookmeyers (investigator and a less-active), Melanie,
Nancy, Monica, Michael, Heidi, Anthony and the Matweyews.
We had another really great lesson with Kathy,
Kyle and Madison. They are earnestly searching for the truth and sometimes I
just want to scream "YOU ARE SO CLOSE! YOU'RE BASICALLY THERE!" I
don't do that, but I think about it a lot. :) They'll get there. Madison has
been reading in the Book of Mormon and praying, a lot. She said she really
wants to read more of the Book of Mormon and that when she prayed about the plan
of salvation she felt the same way she felt when we had taught her about it.
She felt peace and comfort and she said she really feels like she
"knows" that it's really that way. Kathy has more hold ups. She's
worried about the huge change that she'll have to make in her life, which is
understandable. We've been trying to just help her focus first on getting an
answer from Heavenly Father about it and then going from there. I know that if
she does read and pray that her concerns will be resolved and the things that
she thinks matter at this point won’t anymore, because she'll see that she's
found the truth. Madison, and her husband Ryan, came to church with us
yesterday. Kathy and Kyle went to a Presbyterian one that they've been trying
out, but they said they'll come with us next week. Madison loved it. She said
she felt really good being there and she enjoyed the testimonies. She said she
wants what they have, that firm belief and she wants to feel God in her life
like they do. She at first said she wasn't sure if she would be able to come
next Sunday, because she is having her birthday party on Saturday night. Then,
right before she left, she said "You know what. I'm coming next week. I'll
commit now to do it because I really want to. Plus, I stayed up late last night
and I still made it here today." She's planning on coming to the first two
hours next week and working her way up to going to all three. She's really
great! I'm excited for her to keep learning, because I know that she's going to
get there, she'll be baptized.
We had another lesson with Heena this week. We
taught her about Jesus Christ and His atonement. I think that's something that
Heena just doesn't quite have a grasp on. Basically, she needs to repent so she
can feel the power of the atonement in her life. Well, we talked about Jesus
Christ and shared a lot of scriptures with her. Sister Tolliver was there and
was able to share her testimony of the Savior as well. Heena said that she
really does believe that Christ is the Savior and that he has a plan for her.
It was really cool when she was talking about how since she started praying in
the name of Jesus Christ she has seen a huge change in her life and she really
feels like her prayers are answered. I hope something will change that will help
her realize she should be baptized. That would be a miracle.
Please keep me in your prayers more than ever
at this point. I'm going to need a lot of strength and guidance as I adjust to
this new calling and area. I really love you all so much. I am so blessed to
have a family that supports me as I serve the Lord. I know that your prayers
make a big difference in my service, whether the blessings are visible to any
of us or not. Thanks for your love and your support.
Love,
Sister Bennett
P.S. - Can I get Aunt Nicole's address? She
sent my companion and me a really great Christmas package. It had 12 days of
Christmas! Sadly, we got it after Christmas, but I still loved it so much! She
even put nice little spiritual quotes on each gift that I was able to save.
Mom, you have some really kind siblings. I love my family! Extended and
immediate!
Saying goodbye to Caitlyn
Saying goodbye to Caitlyn
With Kayli - leaving Moorpark
No comments:
Post a Comment