Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Will You Follow the Example of Jesus Christ and Be Baptized?


 
February 18, 2013

 

Dear Family!

You all have had a TON going on! First off, congrats to Brandice and Solon! I see that they named their baby something as close as they could to my name without it being awkward. Nice work nan! I knew you loved me! Haley...Eily. Sounds alike! Just saying! Ok, maybe not. Hey, also congrats to Jordan and Amanda! I'm excited to have another sister, but saddened that she is another blackhead. That's ok, Amanda, not everyone can have beautiful red hair like us....right redheads? Right. Happy Birthday to Solon! I had no idea when your birthday was, so I'm sorry I didn't send a card! I feel terrible! I'm the worst sister-in-law ever. Forgive me...I'm a missionary. Wow! I'm just so happy to hear about all of the great things going on in your lives! Really....I'm feeling really full of joy right now, my chest is all tight! Weird! Haha.

Well, my first transfer as a traveling sister has come to an end. It went by so quickly, but it seems like it should have been 12 weeks rather than 6 because so much happened in that short span of time. I'm excited to start a new transfer. It's always nice to have a "fresh start," in a way, that comes with transfers. I'm mostly excited to get going again on having exchanges. I've missed seeing the sisters. They help me learn so much and I'm excited to see/hear about the improvements that they've been making since the last time we had exchanges with them. I'm happy to have Sister Lillywhite as my companion for another transfer. She is a great missionary and I know that I still have so much to learn from her before she heads back to New Mexico at the end of the transfer. 

President Castro sent out a message that this week will just be a five week transfer whereas transfers are usually six weeks. A lot of missions are doing this so they can get the new missionaries into the field quicker. That's exciting! That also means that I will come home a week earlier than I would have since that will affect the rest of the year. Crazy, right! I'm excited for all of the new sisters to come next transfer. This week we're getting just one English sister and two Spanish. I'm still excited though! Haha. 

Well, this week was great! It was a very successful week in our area. It was nice to spend the entire week just working here in Ventura, in our part of the vineyard. We had a goal to invite more people to be baptized because we felt we really could be doing better on that and that if we were focusing on doing that, our declarations would be more focused on our purpose. Well, we invited a lot of people to be baptized this week and we now have 4 investigators with baptismal dates! We will, sadly, need to pass two of them off to the YSA elders, but we're so excited to see the Lord help us as we had righteous desires. 

This week we taught Rita, Eve, Lizette, Jose, the Evangelistas (recent convert), Kelley, Jimmy, Kristyn, Lisa, Brother Juker (less-active), Karina, Bob, Arianna, Jessica, Sister Rous (less-active), Brother Allen (less-active), the Biglers (less-active), Cryshauna, Sister Ellis (less-active), David, and the Rabagos (less-active).

This week was my first time meeting Lizette. She was a potential that the Sisters had met tracting a while ago, but she was sick and didn't really have time to talk. Lizette has lupus, so she gets sick very often. She is in her early 30s, is married, and has an eleven year old son. She actually used to live in the same apartment complex as the assistants and she would do laundry at the same time as them a lot. They, of course, talked to her a lot about the church and then she moved. She is familiar with the missionaries, but she wasn't too familiar with what we believe. She let us come inside, and we taught her about the Restoration. She's Catholic, she was actually wearing a rosary, but she doesn't always attend. She talked about how she likes different pieces from a lot of religions, so when we taught her about the great apostasy she thought it made a lot of sense. At times I wasn't sure if she was really listening because she seemed like the type of person that wants to seem like she already knows things, but when we asked her questions she seemed to have grasped a lot of what we taught. She really felt that Joseph Smith's experience was amazing and she understood the importance of reading and praying about what we shared. She was so happy when we gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon and she said that she really was going to read it and pray about it. We invited her to be baptized and she said, "Oh yes! Of course I will when I know!" She is set for March 23rd! We're meeting with her again this week, so we're really excited. I've just been praying that she'll feel well that day so she can still meet with us.

We also had a great lesson with Lisa. Lisa is in her 40s. We met her tracting a few weeks ago and she seemed pretty interested. When we went back this last week, she has actually read a bit in the Book of Mormon, so she was more serious about this than we originally thought. We taught her about the Restoration and she had a lot of good questions. I really enjoy it when people ask us questions, because it shows that they actually care and are paying attention. I don't like it when they just take our word for it on everything. People should be skeptical and should take this to the Lord in prayer. That's such a crucial step for every single member of the church, whether they were born in the church or not. We won’t have our own testimony of it until we ask. In PMG it says that "no one can know of spiritual truths without prayer." I know that that is true, no matter what, we need to help investigators understand the importance of prayer. Lisa, at one point in the lesson, kind of broke down and cried about her divorce. She doesn't seem to have a lot of self-worth. She kept saying that she wants to make changes but she doesn't think she can do it. I'm excited to continue teaching her and help her understand who she really is. The plan of salvation lesson will be so great for her. She also accepted a baptismal date. She'll be working toward the 30th of March! 

We just saw so many miracles this week! I almost couldn't believe how many miracles we saw. I'm just grateful that as we work hard, the Lord will reward us with these great miracles. He always pulls through, always! It's up to us whether or not we get to enjoy them by the decisions we make. 

Thanks for the package mom! Sister Lillywhite is grateful that you also sent her a valentine and I really like my new purse! It's the perfect size! Give baby Eily a huge kiss from her favorite aunt and make sure you show her my picture once a day. Thanks. 

I love you all so much! Have a great week! 

 
Love,

Sister Bennett 

 

P.S. - Sorry this one is short. I'm short....on time! 

P.P.S. - What's the status on the shoes, mom? I'm in need! :) 
 
 
 
 

Back in Moorpark with Sister Stoker.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment