Sunday, May 19, 2013

Please....Just Get in the Water


April 1, 2013

Dear Fam,

This week was a stretching week for me, personally. I felt a little bit overwhelmed and apprehensive at the beginning, thinking about all that is to come for me throughout the remainder of my service as a missionary. Time is going by so quickly, and I want to be able to do all that the Lord would ask of me. I was sad to say goodbye to Sister Lillywhite. We had become so comfortable in our teaching and had seen so many miracles together in these past three months, not to mention that she became one of my closest friends. The way that Sister Lillywhite works is inspiring. She truly came to the understanding of what it means to represent our Lord, and Savior, Jesus Christ. She did even more, however, than understand, she became. Everything she did was to fulfill her purpose as a missionary, to bless the lives of those in her stewardship. She really instilled that in me - we are always representatives of Jesus Christ. I am just so grateful for her and for the example she set for me and especially for the sisters in this mission. I believe that she is a big part of why the culture of the mission, among the sisters, has changed so much in a positive way. 

As I've pondered on the things that she's taught me, I recognized the magnitude of my calling as a traveling sister. The way that I affect these sisters, ripples outward to their future companions, the members in the wards that they serve in, to the other missionaries they serve near, and especially to those that they teach. I take it very seriously, and I've seen the Lord work through me to help those I serve, and He will continue to do so. This past week was overwhelming because I felt that so many more weaknesses were coming to my fore-vision and I didn't realize that they were there. When we had a meeting this past Thursday with all of the traveling trainers and the assistants, Elder Cary shared something that brought me a lot of comfort, and it came from a scripture that had previously impacted me and that I've held onto for my entire mission. The scripture is Ether 12:27 and I have reflected very often on a time during my very first transfer when I read that scripture and it gave me peace. Elder Cary shared that in that scripture it teaches us that when we are recognizing our weaknesses, we have come unto Christ - "if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness." I believe that I have come closer to Jesus Christ in this last transfer. I've had a few experiences that have really helped me feel the power of His atonement in my life and I've felt encircled in His arms. I didn't realize how truly grateful I am for Him. At transfer meeting this past Tuesday, I was pondering on my testimony of Jesus Christ as the departing missionaries went up one by one to share theirs, and I felt the Spirit as if it was washing over my body. I just felt this deep, potent gratitude for my Savior. He did so much for me, and I'm grateful to put a cross on my back and share His gospel with others whom He has sacrificed for. It's a blessing to be able to meet people on the street and declare to them that He lives and that I KNOW it. 

I am also very excited to be working with Sister Burwell. She is amazing. She's so full of energy, and especially, love for this work. She really wants to learn and grow and I hope that I can help her do so this transfer. I have a great deal of respect for her and I really love her. I want to help her reach her goals and improve in the areas that she'd like to. She has talked a lot about how she is ready to learn from me. I'm not sure what there is to learn, but I'm ready to learn together from the experiences we'll have this transfer. The sisters are going to love going on exchanges with her and she'll be a great influence on them. 

I got to see Brenna on Tuesday at transfer meeting. I emailed her on Monday and told her she HAD to bring the Moorpark sisters, since they were required to get a ride to Ventura anyway. When we got to the stake center on Tuesday morning there was Brenna in her car with Sister Stoker. I was soooo happy to see her, seriously. She said that it was funny when she got my email because she had already planned to bring them. Same mind. She just seems like she's grown up so much since I was in Moorpark. I guess being called to serve a mission will help do that. I had to go to a meeting, so I wasn't able to talk to her very long when I first saw her, but she just made me so pumped and excited for the day! When we got done with our meeting, we walked into the chapel and all of the missionaries were already seated. When I sat down I was trying to figure out where she went. I got a little nervous because I thought maybe she went somewhere and was going to miss out on transfer meeting. Then I saw her, she was sitting in the row with all of the missionaries. She fit right in. Honestly, that made me a little bit emotional. It was so weird. I just felt so glad that I met Brenna. She's the best friend I've made on my mission, and I am so excited for her to have these experiences that I'm having. Now I know why Brandice always wanted me to serve a mission so badly. I never want anyone to miss out on the opportunity of serving a mission because of how sacred my mission is to me. I'm so proud of Brenna and the person she is. I feel like she's just an old friend that I've been reunited with, and I'm grateful for the impact she has had on me. She's helped me to open up more and to go forward in life without fear. She has a really great perspective and that's something that I've definitely gained from my friendship with her. President Castro actually had her come up and bear her testimony, since he had heard from her two nights previous at her stake conference. She did great and the best part was when she told all of the missionaries what I had told her - "obedience is bliss." That-a-girl. I've taught her well. ;)  After transfer meeting, we went to Chipotle to eat with Brenna and the Moorpark sisters. I loved every minute talking about how she's preparing to go to the temple and for her mission. The gospel is so great. It brings people together on such a deeper level than the world can ever try to manipulate and recreate. 

This week we taught Julia, the Biglers, the Evangelistas, Brother Dumond, Brother Wages, the Heaths, Sister Rous, Jessica, Lena, Bob, Lizette, and Cryshauna. 

Let me share a great miracle that Sister Lillywhite and I had on our last day together. I'll start about 5 weeks ago, at the beginning of last transfer. We were walking down by the harbor and were talking about how we could do better in talking to everyone. We made a resolve that we'd talk to everyone no matter if they were getting into their car or walking into their house - we were going to stop them and talk to them about the gospel. Right after we made that decision, there was a man walking down the street....so we talked to him. His name was Carlos and we taught him about prophets and the restoration of Christ's church. He had a lot of questions about prophets and asked "What have these modern prophets brought to us." Hmmmm, we had just the thing. We taught him about the Book of Mormon and he was very receptive. He said that he would like a copy. We gave him one and asked when we would be able to meet with him again. Sadly, he told us "I'm sure we'll see each other again down here" and he went on his way. Sister Lillywhite and I both didn't want to push him, so we, a little bummed, continued on our way. Well, I really wanted to meet Carlos again, because I really felt that he was being prepared for us to teach him, so Sister Lillywhite and I prayed throughout that entire transfer that we would see Carlos again. Last Monday, Sister Lillywhite and I were eating yogurt with the traveling hermanas and discussing ideas that we would want to share with the sisters if we have another sisters conference soon. We were sitting on a bench that looked out over the ocean. We were going to take a picture, so as Sister Lillywhite looked around for someone to ask to take our picture she saw Carlos sitting behind us! All four of us got up and went to talk to him. We declared to him again and shared a little bit about the plan of salvation. To my dismay, he again wouldn't give us his address or set up a time to meet with us! I couldn't believe it. I felt the Spirit just as strong this time as I had the first time we met him. He was wearing the same clothes as he was the first time, so we decided that he may possibly be homeless, and that might have been the reason that he didn't want to share where he lived. I will be continuing to pray that we can meet him again. That was a huge miracle that we found him and talked to him again! What a blessing! 

Julia got baptized this past Saturday! It was the most interesting baptism I've been a part of and I'm sure that won’t change throughout the course of my mission. She was SO excited when we got to the church and I was possibly as excited as she was. Then the baptismal service began. She still seemed really happy and excited, but as the time got closer for her to get baptized I realized that she kept looking at her mom with a very scared look on her face. Well, the time of truth came - she needed to get into the baptismal font to get baptized. Julia doesn't like to be in front of people, so having everyone there to support her made her super nervous. We could hear her in the bathroom crying and telling her mom that she didn't want to do it. I was getting pretty nervous. I was thinking "Oh great! She's going to back out! What are we going to do?" Then the thought came to my mind that we should just close the folding curtains that are in front of the font. Sister Burwell and I went into the bathroom and told Julia that we would close the curtains and just the Elders would have to come in so they could be witnesses. She calmed down and decided that would be a good idea, because she wanted to be baptized...she just didn't want everyone looking at her. Sister Burwell and I went back out and explained that Julia was just too nervous to have everyone watching her and that we would be closing the curtains to do it. They all thought that was fine and were very understanding. Sister Burwell and I, of course, got to see her get baptized, and I am so grateful for that experience. The Savior didn't have a beautiful baptismal service with all of His close friends and family watching Him, but He was baptized to be obedient to His Father. I know that the most important person was there at that baptism and saw Julia make that covenant and was proud - her Heavenly Father. That experience helped me gain a perspective of why we do the things that we do. It isn't for other people, to please them or make ourselves look good. We should do things to bring our Father in Heaven joy. Yesterday for the 3rd hour of church, the stake president spoke about how we can bring God joy. I know that when we follow the example of Jesus Christ, we can bring joy to our Heavenly Father. I also know that when we strive to bring Him joy, we will feel more joy than possible when we are only striving to bring joy to ourselves. That was a great baptism. I am so happy for Julia and what this means for her in her life and I'm grateful that I was able to be there to experience it and learn the lessons that I learned. 

It was a wonderful, growing week. I'm grateful for the Lord and His love for me. I'm grateful for the way that He continues to shape and mold me into the person He knows that I can become. 

I love you all. Thank you so much for your support. I know that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my family, and I'm just so grateful to be a missionary. I will be forever grateful for the sacrifices you've all made so that I can be here today. I love you.

Sister Bennett 



P.S. - Did you update the blog mom? :) 
P.P.S. - I attached a picture from Julia's baptism
 
 
 
 

 
Farewell Sister Lillywhite

 
With Brenna Lutz after Transfer Meeting

 
Julia's Baptism
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment