This week was a REALLY, really good week. We saw so many miracles in our area and I'm in a state of gratitude today for the Lord and how He always keeps the promises that He makes to us. I have kept the faith that He would help us to have fruit in this area even though we don't get to be laboring here as much as we would if we didn't have the assignment of being traveling sisters. He has come through and has definitely been laboring here in our absence. We have a nine-year-old preparing for baptism, we have a family to teach, our prayers about a specific investigator attending church have been answered, and the members in the ward are starting to "catch the wave" of missionary work. Miracles; they are happening in this part of the Lord's vineyard.
The Lord is also blessing our companionship. Sister Burwell and I are doing really well together. There are times when we have differences in opinions, which I knew would happen, but we're both learning to lead and be lead. I think a lot about an email that I received from Brandice at the beginning of my mission. She gave me some priceless counsel about working with companions. She said that everyone has a way of doing things and sometimes the way that a companion accomplishes tasks is different than the way that you do it, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Really, both methods are good and right, but they are just different. That taught me a really valuable lesson about compromising. There are times when I just need to step down and allow Sister Burwell to lead and do things the way that she has done them because I know that she's seen success doing the same work in different ways. There are times when I am not as willing to compromise because I feel strongly about it, but, overall, we are both compromising often and submitting to what the other thinks. It's been amazing. Sister Burwell is so loving and is a great example of Christ-like compassion. She sees my weaknesses, because there are many and they are very obvious, but she looks past them to who the Lord sees that I can become. She does this same thing with those that we teach. I am so grateful for her and her patience and love for me. She's already become such a great friend of mine, probably the best friend I've made on my mission. She's a strength and support for me in times when I really need her.
This week we also had our sisters' training meeting that we, the four traveling sisters, were basically in charge of. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed the meeting. It was so neat to see the hand of the Lord in preparing the four of us, traveling sisters, as well as President and Sister Castro. The things that Sister Castro spoke about at the beginning of the meetings lead perfectly into what the sisters and I taught about. The spirit in that room, as we talked about loving the Lord and being exact, was so strong. I felt the trust of the Lord as the Spirit really worked through me, as well as my companions, to teach the sisters the things that they needed to hear. I was taken aback, almost, by how much love I felt for all of the sisters in the room during that discussion. I just felt so grateful for them and for the sacrifices they've made and will continue to make as they labor in the Lord's vineyard. I also felt so proud of them. As I've gone on exchanges with a lot of them and have gotten to talk to many, I've been able to see obvious growth in them and I know that growth came from great effort and also faith in the Lord and His atonement. It was a humbling experience to stand in front of them because so many of them could do the exact same thing that I'm doing, but most likely they could do it better. However, the Lord has asked me to fulfill this assignment, and I'm so grateful for it. I have changed and grown so much since I've become a traveling sister. I'm sad that I allowed my vision/recognition of these changes to be blocked at times, because I can clearly see the way that the Lord has used this assignment to change me and mold me more and more into the missionary the people in this area, the sisters, and He needs.
Now, on to the most important thing - the people! This week we taught Jean, the Rabagos, Allen, the Heaths (like 4 times), Rita, Brother Dumond, Evangelista, Chris, Sister Rous, Lisa, Julie, Cryshauna, and Aubrey and Tyler.
Melanie Heath is moving along great! We were worried for a little bit because all of the Heath children had been gone for a week and then they weren't home for the appointment we set, so we thought we would probably have to push back Melanie's and Mariah's baptism. I was bummed about that because I wanted to reach our goal of having a baptism every month. Well, this week we taught them probably four times, so we're back on track! The kids are a bit wild, but they're learning. Sometimes I have to catch myself, because my patience starts to wear a little bit thin. I guess this will be a good experience to teach me about motherhood and teaching my children about the gospel. I'm really grateful for Sister Heath. She's a single mom with six kids, working and going to school. She's tired and stressed, but she's always happy to have us come and teach her children. I can see that she's putting God first, and I know that she'll be blessed for her sacrifices. She even fed us this week when I know that she's receiving help from the church with food. That was pretty humbling that she wanted to feed representatives of Jesus Christ that much. I was humbled.
We went on exchanges on Friday with the Agoura Hills sisters. I worked with Sister Di Liberto for the day and we were in Agoura. She is a temple square sister and she's from Italy! My goal was to help her take the lead. I know that Sister Evensen, her companion, has been struggling because Sister Di Liberto hasn't been contributing as much. Honestly, just like with Sister Randall, I really wanted to work hard and help Sister Di Liberto know how to do the work. I told her that she should be tired every night. She loved it. We talked to everyone we saw and made sure that if we got out of the car, we talked to someone. She said that a lot of the time they're just getting in and out of the car and driving. I know that Agoura is a wealthy area, but tracting isn't just for finding - it's also for teaching missionaries. That's another piece of wisdom that my sister shared with me. Sister Di Liberto is great. I think that she and Sister Evensen just need to work things out together, because throughout the day I just made sure to leave a lot of room for her to talk and when I did, she took the opportunity to testify and teach. She's so great at teaching to needs and I could tell that people feel loved when she speaks to them. It was a great day in Agoura.
We had a day of miracles yesterday. It was wonderful. We had been praying so much and I was fasting for Lisa to come to church. She's been on the verge of coming so many times, but so often she didn't show up. We had also been asking members of the ward to pray for her to come to church, and yesterday she came. That is the best feeling in the world, as a missionary, when you've been praying for someone to come to church and you see them walk into the chapel on Sunday. Those are joyous occasions because you know that they are in the right place. I think that she had a good experience. She came to the gospel principles class that we were teaching, but she needed to leave part way through the meeting. I was just glad that she made it, because now it will make it easier for her to come next time.
Now,the great miracle of the day yesterday, was Aubrey. Aubrey's mom, Dawnia, has been less-active for quite some time, but Dawnia has been wanting to get back to church. Sister Lillywhite and I went and taught Aubrey and Tyler, Aubrey's brother, the Sunday before Sister Lillywhite went home. I think I wrote about that experience. Aubrey is deaf. Last time we taught her we didn't have an interpreter, and her mom has a hard time doing it so we had to resort to watching the restoration DVD. That wasn't the best, because Aubrey doesn't really have an understanding of God and who He is. Well, yesterday we went over to Aubrey's house in the morning and talked to her mom about teaching Aubrey and Tyler both, Tyler is 10. We ended up meeting at the church at 12:00pm, an hour before sacrament meeting. Sister Wood, in the ward, actually knows ASL. That is a HUGE miracle for multiple reasons. That meant that we could help Aubrey more and it was especially a blessing because Sister Wood is amazing. She's a return missionary, she served in Nauvoo, and is so great with missionary work. She knew how to help us and what would be best for Aubrey. We really focused on teaching Aubrey about God and who she is - a daughter of God. I cannot explain how powerful it was to see Sister Wood say that to her in sign language. I just felt so much love for Aubrey and so excited for her to understand who she is. I also just felt so much love for Sister Wood, as well. She is truly someone that has taken the name of Jesus Christ on herself. She is the best example of someone with charity that I have met. I'm so excited to keep teaching Aubrey. I'm going to have Sister Wood teach me how to bear my testimony to her in sign language. I'm just so grateful for the miracles that the Lord has blessed us with this week.
I wish I had more time to share other miracles of this week, but these will need to suffice.
I love this work.
Thank you so much mom for sending me the Easter package - I got it a while ago, but just forgot to say thanks. Haha. Also, thanks Colin for sending that other package. I loved the letters from the DeMill kids and I really loved the candy. I was wanting some Reeses eggs. Good work. :)
Anyway, Ventura is wonderful and the work is even better! I love you all so much! Please, feel free to write me a letter! CORTNEY!
Love,
Sister Bennett
No comments:
Post a Comment