Monday, November 18, 2013

I’m Learning to Float … Kinda




November 4, 2013



Dear Family,

There was a lot more going on this week, so it was a lot better for me. I didn't have a lot of time to really think about myself and how I'm feeling, which is so much better for me. I'm grateful for the sisters. They've helped me feel really happy this past week, even when I'm still missing Sister Burwell a lot. Our time together was such a positive thing and I don't want to discolor the way I look at those memories because I feel bad that she's not here. That was my goal this past week, to enjoy the memories we have and to make new ones with these other sisters. I'm very grateful to Sister Castro for giving me that advice in an email last week. Last Monday, after I emailed and got everything off of my chest, we played sports with our district and I had an eye opening experience. I was still thinking a lot about what Sister Castro had written to me. It felt really good to spend time with the sisters, to encourage them and make them feel good about the things that they are doing. I love hearing about the people that they're teaching, the fun moments they have in their companionships and the things that they're learning. I loved just cheering them on as we played sports for an hour. That really lifted my spirit a lot and helped me see how happy I can be even without Sister Burwell being here. It's a lot different, but it's still good.

We had two exchanges this week. The first one was in Santa Maria, and I took Sister Kiyotani with me to work with the sisters there. We had a lot to talk about on the ride up to Santa Maria. I felt really grateful to have her with me, because I knew that the sisters that she'll work with this transfer are going to benefit so much from their experiences with her. She's so diligent and focused. She had a lot of questions, and I was grateful to have the opportunity to train her and guide her on how to be effective in this assignment.


I worked with Sister Mason in Santa Maria. It was a good exchange. The day went pretty fast because Sister Kiyotani and I had to leave early to get back to Santa Barbara so we could meet up with our companions. Sister Mason talked about how she wanted to be more confident. She felt that because she came to Santa Maria and Sister Higgins is the senior companion, she should just basically take the back seat. We talked a lot about that and how she needs to keep pushing herself to grow, and taking the backseat wasn't going to facilitate more growth. She's changed since my last exchange with her. She's more outgoing with people and isn't afraid to talk and teach them. She's doing well. I felt really happy as I was there working with her, because she's so easy to be around and to focus on. Selflessness really is happiness.

The second exchange I went on was with Sister Xayadeth. Sister Stoker worked with Sister Shipp that same day, so that was Sister Stoker's first exchange. I love Sister Xayadeth. She has grown so much! She's overcome her homesickness and the little obedience setbacks and has really committed herself to this work. We talked a lot about it, and about how she did it. She said that she just realized that she wasn't happy because she wasn't letting herself be. She realized that she couldn't keep one foot at home and still be happy here, so she changed. Even what she put on the wall in front of her desk changed. She used to have pictures of her family and friends right in front of her desk, but now the wall is decorated with pictures of Christ. That was so neat to see. They've been struggling to find people to teach in their area, so I was glad to help her see different things to work on so they can find more people to teach. We talked a lot about being persistent and the Lord blessed us to see the blessings that come when we are persistent. I'm always so grateful for that! I can tell them how being persistent is important, but it's so much better when the Lord provides a physical example of what I'm trying to teach someone on exchanges. That just helps me see that He supports the things that I'm trying to teach.


In our area, we saw some cool miracles. We haven't had many people to teach, and it was making me feel a little stressed. I knew that the Lord would provide, because He has so many times before. I was just feeling impatient. That's still something I need to learn! Patience! Anyway, we spent a lot of time finding on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The great part was that we were pretty successful! I want to share one miracle that happened at the ward's Halloween party. Sister Burwell and I, back in May, talked to a man who was out by his garage working on some little motorcycles. This man's name was Sonny. He said that we could come by and talk to him more, so we got his apartment number and went by another day. When the door opened, Sonny's wife, Jessica, answered and didn't look happy. Basically, she told us that Sonny did this all the time, he invited religious people over so he could mess with them but really wasn't into religion at all. Well, since Sonny wasn't interested, Sister Burwell and I started teaching Jessica. She was very adamant that religion wasn't for her and that she wasn't interested. We left. About 4 weeks ago, Sister Burwell was inspired, as usual, to go try Jessica on exchanges. She told her about the Trunk-or-Treat that would be happening on October 30th. Jessica actually showed some interest in it but Sister Burwell didn't have a flyer at that point. Well, during Sister Burwell's last week here, we stopped by together to give Jessica a flyer and she said she'd be there. When Sister Stoker and I went to the activity on Wednesday, I had totally forgotten that Jessica would possibly be coming, but when we got there a member came up to us and said that some lady was looking for us. I looked over and there was Jessica sitting with her three kids! We went over and talked to her and immediately she turned to me and told me that she wants us to come over and teach her. She said that she needs to know more, she feels ready, and wants to be able to answer her kids’ questions about God. I was so excited! She set up a time with us right then! We gave her a tour of the church and she really enjoyed it. She felt super welcomed by the ward and seemed excited to come to church sometime. That was a HUGE miracle! The Lord just places people in our paths, and if we're listening, He'll show
them to us.


Anyway, that's all that I have time to write about. It was a pretty good week. The few days we had in our area just going out and finding together were harder.  It's a challenge, but the Lord has helped me so much. I can feel Him supporting me, and I can also feel how patient He is with me. He understands how much I love her and that it's going to take a little time for me to totally have control. I'm improving though. That's good! I'm starting to learn how to float here on my own....kind of.

Thank you, mom, for the Halloween package....Erin, thank you as well for doing an activity with the youth and sending me even more candy. I think you all want me to be chubby when I get back. Rude.  haha. Sister Stoker and I just relaxed on Halloween night and ate some of our candy. We had to come in at 7:00pm to be safe.  I could've handled it! It wasn't super eventful, but I'm trying to attach a picture of us....it's very similar to the one I sent last year of Sister Putnam and me.

I love you all,
Sister Bennett




Sister Bennett with Sister Kiyotani and Sister Higgins
Sister Bennett with Brother Laws and his gross costume
R to L = Sister Bennett, Sister Xayadeth, Sister Shipp, and Sister Stoker
Sister Bennett and Sister Xayadeth

Sister Bennett with Sister Higgins and Sister Mason










No comments:

Post a Comment