November 25, 2014
It has been almost a year since I have returned home from spending 18 months in the California Ventura Mission. I'm now back visiting the mission with Brynne Burwell. We came for a very special event. Today, we attended the sealing of Jed and Stefanie Colvin. After just over a year, they experienced the fulfillment of promises that God made to them when Brynne and I first met them.
It was so amazing to be there because I experienced so much with them. I can still distinctly remember the first lesson we had with Jed and Stef. They told us about their situation with being married. Stefanie told us that she and Jed couldn't get married for a year and she gave us a few reasons of why that was so, but I didn't really listen. As she spoke about their situation, I felt the Spirit wash over me and distinct thoughts came into my mind. I knew the Lord had other plans for Jed and Stef. I felt and knew that they would be in the temple a year from that time to be sealed for time and all eternity. It was one of the clearest promptings that I have ever received.
Of course, the opportunity to come back to California to participate in and see the fulfillment of those promised blessings was too wonderful to pass up. Jed and Stefanie are so special to me. Being in the temple with them today was a very unique experience. That isn't something that all returned missionaries get to experience. When I walked into the endowment room, after changing into my temple dress, I felt so much joy when I looked in front of me and there sat Stefanie. She had a huge smile on her face. I then looked across the room and met Jed's eyes. You can see the Savior in those eyes. They were filled with joy and the Spirit. I could see the peace that was resting upon him. It was a beautiful sight. As we went through the session, I kept my eye on Jed and Stef and just wondered what they were feeling and thinking. I was praying for them to have an experience that would bring them closer together and especially closer to God.
When we were standing in the celestial room waiting for Jed and Stefanie to come in, I felt so much gratitude for the opportunity to have met, taught and come to love those two. I am so blessed to have been in the situation and circumstances that allowed me to serve a mission. I'm grateful that the Lord knows us each and placed me in the Ventura mission where I met all of these people that I love so much.
Finally, Jed and Stef joined us in the celestial room. Stefanie was overcome with emotion and expressed her love and gratitude for Sister Burwell and me. Jed looked so snug and confident. I was nervous that he would feel overwhelmed but he looked happy and at ease. That was a blessing. Next came the sealing and it was wonderful. It was so powerful when Jed and Stef knelt across the altar from each other. I was sitting at a vantage point where I was looking at Jed's face. He was gazing so deeply into Stefanie's eyes and I could not only see how much he loves her but how much Heavenly Father loves them both as well as their family unit.
At the end of the sealing, the temple president turned to Brynne and me and said that our role as Jed and Stef's missionaries not to just get them to the temple, but we will be their missionaries forever. We will and should always be a part of each others' lives. I know that is true. I want Jed and Stef to be there when I am sealed and when I have children. I always want to be a part of their lives. That's what I plan to do.
It has been an amazing experience to be here with them. My mission truly didn't end on December 4, 2013, but the blessings and ripples from my service go far beyond just 18 months. I am happy to continue to find out even more of what blessings those sacred 18 months will continue to bring to me in my life.
Love,
Haley
No comments:
Post a Comment